top of page

Welcome to Our History

     Established in 1919 by Gus Condo, Robert R. Batton and Judge Robert Van

Atta under the name of Condo, Van Atta and Batton, as customary at the

time, the firm was initially engaged in the general practice of law.

     In the 1930’s, Albert L. Harker joined the firm and it became known as

Batton, Van Atta and Harker.

     The practice evolved to include commercial and business matters, particularly banking and business reorganization as well as civil litigation focusing on defense of claims against railroads throughout Northern Indiana. By the mid-1950’s, David L. Kiley, Sr. and George Osborn had joined the rm; and it became known as Batton, Harker, Kiley and Osborn. Banking and public utility related areas of practice expanded as did personal injury defense, commercial law, business organizations as well as probate administration. Michael J. Kiley, the cousin of David L. Kiley, Sr., arrived in 1959, and Albert C. Harker, the son of Albert L. Harker, joined the firm in 1962. In the early-60’s, both Robert R. Batton and Albert L. Harker passed away unexpectedly and within a short time of each other. Soon thereafter, Michael J. Kiley and Albert C. Harker became partners in the firm of Kiley, Osborn, Kiley & Harker.

 

    The practice of the firm expanded into areas of municipal law, real estate development, planning and zoning. Banking, public utility, commercial law and civil litigation continued to grow. Kim A. Rogers became associated with the firm in 1966. Thomas W. Michael and H. Joseph Certain joined the firm as associates in 1969. Kim A. Rogers became a partner in 1971. Thomas R. Hunt became an associate in 1973. The firm then moved to its own building at 300 W. Third Street where it remains today.

     In 1976, Thomas W. Michael became a partner; and in 1977 H. Joseph Certain and Thomas R. Hunt became partners. In 1979 A. Bonner Brown merged his law practice into the firm which was then known as Kiley, Osborn, Brown, Kiley, Harker and Rogers. In late 1980, Hunt left the firm to assume duties as Judge of the Grant Circuit Court.

   As public utilities and banking began to merge and consolidate, the practice of the firm evolved toward an emphasis on civil litigation, banking, commercial law, municipal law, real estate planning and zoning. Estate planning and the probate practice grew and became an integral part of the practice.

     Al, Joe and Martin continue to provide legal services to our community, its members and their businesses.

certian_7a.jpg
bottom of page